top of page

About Us

If the Sunset Inn looks familiar to you, it may be because it has been the subject of many renown artists who have painted the building.  Most famous is the painting by Edward Hopper titled "Rooms for Tourists" painted in 1945 and exhibited in the Yale University Art Gallery.  According to local historians the house was used in World War II as a military hospital for soldiers returning from battle.  The newer part of the house began as stand alone cottages and were rented to seasonal fishermen during the summer months.  The house as it is structured today was completed sometime in the late 1940's to early 1950's 

The Sunset Inn has 3 sundecks a back patio area and a back yard.  The house was originally built in 1860 and additional sections were added in the early 1940's.  Rooms in the original part of the house are larger and have more of the old world charm.  Rooms in the additional structure are somewhat smaller and more modern in design and  tend to be smaller.  Rooms on the third floor (Shared Bath area) are basic and are available for the thrifty travelers.  Smoking is not allowed in or around the house or on sundecks and back patio.  There is an area in the back yard where cigarette smoking is allowed.  No cigar or pipe smoking is allowed.  We offer a pet free environment for our guest so no animals are allowed on the property at any time.  


New Mia Painting April 10.jpg

This painting is from New York artist Mia Bechtel who brought it to us as a gift.


Scottish Boys Father.jpg
This painting is from a artist from Scottland who also sent it to us as a gift.
Before the house was an Inn as the story goes, the only doctor in Provincetown had his offices next door.  His wife who was  a prominent socialite did not want to leave Boston.  So he bought this house for her to run as a rooming house where she could have her associates and friends visit on weekends and socialize.  Evidently in those days there was a train from Boston all the way to Provincetown and the train stopped just down the hill from the property.  At the back of the property (now our parking lot) there was a water tower which provided water for the steam engine trains.
bottom of page